$10,000 Edna Award for Social JusticeThe Edna Award honors an outstanding young woman who has made significant contributions to social justice early in her career and whose leadership is creating and inspiring social change. The Award is named after Foundation namesake and organizing pioneer Edna Berger. The Award is open to women age 35 and under from labor unions, women’s groups, workers’ rights organizations, immigrants’ rights groups, and other areas of social justice. Each year, the Foundation awards other exceptional nominees with a $1,000 Award of Distinction.
The 2017 Winner of the Edna Award is Angelica Clarke, Executive Director of the Albany Social Justice Center.
The two runners up, receiving the 2017 Award of Distinction, are:
- Jessica Carmona Cabrera, the Central California Regional Coordinator for the California Immigrant Youth Justice Alliance, and
- Cathy Dang, the Executive Director of CAAAV: Organizing Asian Communities.
$1,000 Kate Mullany Courageous Young Worker Award
The 2017 Winners of the Kate Mullany Courageous Young Worker Award are:
- Jessica Ellul, a unit coordinator on the oncology ward at Danbury Hospital in Danbury, CT;
- Angela Melvin, a call center worker at the Wichita, Kansas T-Mobile call center; and
- Allysha Shin, a former Registered Nurse at Huntington Hospital in Pasadena, CA.
Read and listen to stories on this year’s Awards:
- AFL-CIO Now: Young women leading the fight for social justice recognized by Berger-Marks Foundation
- Pasadena Now: Former Huntington Hospital nurse, union organizer receives award for her activism
- The Rick Smith Show: Allysha Shin talks road to prestigious award
- UALE News: Six young women leading the fight for social justice to be honored by the Berger-Marks Foundation
- Workday Minnesota: Minnesota laborer is finalist for national social justice award
- The Union Edge: An organizing discussion with recipients of the Berger-Marks Foundation Awards part 1 with Jessica Cabrera and Allysha Shin
- The Union Edge: An organizing discussion part 2 with Angela Melvin
- The Union Edge: An organizing discussion part 3 with Cathy Dang and Jessica Ellul
- The Union Edge: Angelica Clarke, winner of Edna Award talks about using union organizing experience to advance justice
- People’s World: Berger-Marks awards celebrate young women organizers
- CWA: Berger-Marks Edna Award
- T-Mobile Workers United: Wichita T-Mobile Organizer Angela Melvin receives prestigious Berger-Marks Foundation Award
- AFSCME: CT member wins national award for organizing work